Tuesday, February 8, 2022

GROW YOUR OWN

My 160 Pound Weight Loss


My study into health and nutrition began 10 years ago. At that time I had just lost my wife to a health related illness. I was obese and in bad health myself. In the following  2 years I lost 160 pounds and lots of health problems.

I started a blog to talk about what I had learned back in June of 2011. I have posted most of my old blog posts here on this blog. Go back several pages to read the first, and work yourself up to the newer posts. 
-----------------------------


GROW YOUR OWN

We’ve all experienced shortages over the past couple years. Even now we see empty shelves and sold out items every time we go shopping. 

It’s important that we do all we can to prepare for coming food shortages. Now is the time to stock up as much as we can. I’ve posted an article about sprouting. How you can grow fresh greens in your home year round with no garden and no soil. Go back and check out the article. 


Another way you can grow fresh vegetables in your home even during the winter, with no soil is hydroponics.

In the past growing vegetables using hydroponics has been complicated and expensive. Requiring tanks, pumps, hoses and lots of time. Not anymore.  

A new method, at least new to me  allows you to greatly simplify and makes it almost effortless to have fresh vegetables growing in your home. Year round.


It’s called the “Kratky Method Hydroponics”.  You don’t need pumps and hoses. Just a plastic tote, or glass or plastic containers, grow lights, and plant food. 


I planted a tote and several large canning jars with kale, and lettuce. Plant it and do nothing else till harvest time. I was able to get several harvests from the same planting. They keep growing back till the water is used up. 


I’m planning on expanding from kale and lettuce, adding peppers, onions, cucumbers, and more.


I'll include links to the items you will need for your Kratky Hydroponic garden. It's best to try and find the items locally. But If you can't, they can be purchased on Amazon. 


My first attempt at Kratky Method Hydroponics,
IT WORKED GREAT!


Here is a short video on the Kratky Method: https://youtu.be/KWUirDxgavc


Learn more about Kratky here: https://www.growkratky.com



*You will need a tank or containers to plant your seeds in. I shop at Goodwill stores all the time so I buy storage totes. 

Rubbermaid makes the best totes. You can get them at Goodwill for around $2.  The one you see here is a Rubbermaid tote. 

You will need to cut holes in the top. 

You can also use large canning jars, pickle buckets or large plastic food containers.

*You will need net pots to insert into the holes cut in the top. The net pots hold the plants. Net pots come in several sizes. I use 2 inch and 3 inch pots. 

*You will need a planting medium for the net pots. I have used rock wool but I prefer coconut husks.

*You will need plant nutrients.

Vegtable seeds. 

*And a grow light. You can use Fluorescent tubes, but LEDs are better and cheaper to run. 


Click on the pictures for Amazon links...


NET POSTS


PLANT NUTRIENTS













LED GROW LIGHT


We all need food. Now is the time to prepare. Stock up on seeds and supplies now while you can.
And plant extra for others.

BREAD WITHOUT WHEAT

MY 160 POUND WEIGHT LOSS YES IT CAN BE DONE. Alright. Ive told you that wheat is not good for you. I’ve posted SOME of the information.  I c...